Content note: this post discusses misogyny, sexual violence and police
Earlier this week, it was excitedly trumpeted that Nottinghamshire Police will now be recognising and treating misogyny as a hate crime. As Chief Parade Pisser, it is my sad duty to inform you that this probably won’t make much difference, and if it does, it’ll be to the worse.
What falls under the umbrella of misogyny as a hate crime includes:
- unwanted or uninvited sexual advances
- physical or verbal assault
- unwanted or uninvited physical or verbal contact or engagement
- use of mobile phones to send unwanted or uninvited messages
- or take photographs without consent.
You may recognise most of these things as being illegal anyway, albeit being incredibly difficult to get the police to give a crap about in the first place, with many of the crimes being forms of sexual violence or harassment. The police could already intervene…
View original post 396 more words